Drivers - Frequently asked Questions
- How does the system benefit me?
- Wouldn’t the cost of Masternaut be better spent on other things?
- Why have we invested in this system instead of advanced driving courses?
- Does Masternaut meet EU and UK data protection requirements ?
- How does Masternaut keep my data secure ?
- Are there historical logs of who logged onto the computer based system and whose trackers were checked during this time?
- How long is this information collected from the telematics system being stored?
- I have to idle for my job role, will this system penalise me?
- Will the system trigger the In Cab Coach on bumpy roads?
- What data is sent when a driver activates “private mode”?
- I forgot to press the private button: can I activate it while driving?
- In private mode, if I turn off the engine is my vehicle visible?
How does the system benefit me?
Here are just a few of the many benefits of the system:
- Reduce hassle by being able to provide customers updated ETAs and / or sending the nearest free vehicle without needing to call you for updates
- Less time spent on the road through improved routing
- Locate your vehicle and send the closest colleague should you need assistance
- Identify opportunities to improve your welfare and safety through training or process changes
- Provide an audit trail to verify deliveries and/or time spent on site in case of customer complaints
- Simplify reimbursement by tracking private / business mileage
- Lower CO2 emissions through reduced fuel usage
Wouldn’t the cost of Masternaut be better spent on other things?
The outlay and running costs of the Masternaut system is dwarfed by the savings we receive in terms of improved fuel efficiency, increased productivity, reduced vehicle damage, and lower insurance premiums. The average Masternaut customer saves £55 per vehicle each month. This number does not include any gains from improved customer service and customer retention.
Why have we invested in this system instead of advanced driving courses?
The Masternaut system is designed to improve driving styles and maintain that improvement over time. The system also ensures that all drivers have the same experience and the company is able improve driving styles across the fleet.
Does Masternaut meet EU and UK data protection requirements ?
Yes. Masternaut is conform to the Data Protection Directive (European Union directive 95/46/EC) and to the Data Protection Act 1998 (DPA) which regulate the processing of personal data.
All data collected by our telematics units is stored within the European Economic Community in data centres where Masternaut has full control of who has access to the data. Masternaut do not process or transfer data outside of the European Economic area.
How does Masternaut keep my data secure ?
The data is stored within Masternaut’s own tier 3 data centres co-located between France and UK. Access to this these data centres are restricted via role dependant positions and controls. Masternaut staff within these roles have been screened using internal and external verification methods.
Access is controlled by a layered access model, where access to the building requires two-factor authentication (Card and Pin), and employees who have been approved for Data Centre Access, use an additional two-factor authentication using biometric iris scanning.
Masternaut does not transfer or process any information outside of the European Economic Area and the system complies with the EU data protection directive EC95/46. Governance, Policies and monitoring is in place to ensure Masternaut staff adhere to the relevant Security Policies. Additionally, the systems user profile access restrictions, allow [COMPANY NAME]'s administrators to authorise or restrict the visibility of the web features and the part of the fleet each user can see. [COMPANY NAME] is responsible for defining those rules via the administration features.
Are there historical logs of who logged onto the computer based system and whose trackers were checked during this time?
The Audit Log feature provides a record of all connections made to Masternaut Connect and any changes made to Users, Vehicles, Drivers and Groups (creation, editing, deleting). This feature does not track if specific vehicle(s) / driver(s) / report(s) were checked.
How long is this information collected from the telematics system being stored?
As compliant with EU data regulations, Masternaut by our request is only storing data for 2 months [replace with your contracted storage if different (e.g., 1 year, life of the contract)] on their system. In special circumstance, we may keep the data longer on either our IT systems or by special request to Masternaut.
I have to idle for my job role, will this system penalise me?
Idling is a fact of life, vehicle operations and everyone acknowledges that - and everyone acknowledges there will be seasonal variation. However, we have two extremes: always turning off the vehicle, or never turning off the vehicle. The trick is to use common sense and experience to judge when you can and when you cannot turn off your vehicle.
Will the system trigger the In Cab Coach on bumpy roads?
The Masternaut system uses CANbus and GPS technology to calculate the harsh events, these are unaffected by the road condition or the need to mount kerbs.
What data is sent when a driver activates “private mode”?
Where private mode is activated by the driver, data is still recorded from the device and sent to the platform managed by Masternaut, however, neither the company or the driver can view this information. Data gathered while private mode is enabled, will only be made available by Masternaut if written consent is provided by the driver.
I forgot to press the private button: can I activate it while driving?
No. You have to stop your vehicle in a safe place, turn off your engine and then press the private button.
In private mode, if I turn off the engine is my vehicle visible?
No. In private mode, if you turn off your engine, the vehicle will remain in private mode until the next time the engine is turned on without activating private. If you want to stay in private mode, press the private button before your next journey.